- 3 Wines to Pair with Beef Stew
- 4 Wines to Pair with Roasted Vegetables
- A Red That Can Pair with Asparagus
- An $11 Red from Madrid
- A Fruity and Savory Under-$15 Cabernet
- Mineral, Energetic Riesling
- A Sicilian Red Wine with a Do-Gooder Story
- The Best Wines to Pair with Mac and Cheese
- 3 Post-Labor Day Rosés to Drink Now
- A Virginia Chardonnay That's Amazing with Seafood
Here, wine experts reveal their favorite bottles costing less than $17. Many of the selections are lesser known but absolutely worth the search.
Who: Noel Sherr, owner of Cave Taureau wines in Durham, North Carolina
Why: Grown in Piedmont in northwestern Italy, Freisa is a lesser-known grape that makes light, perfumy reds. “This one is absolutely delightful with juicy purple fruits, and a very pretty nose of rose petal and spice,” says Sherr. The wine really comes alive when chilled slightly, he says.
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and cofounder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.