- An Austrian White for Your Chinese Takeout
- In Defense of Cabernet Franc
- A Go-To Cocktail Party Red
- A Pinot Noir that Tastes Like Rocks (In a Good Way!)
- A Napa Valley Sommelier’s Go-To
- A Red You Can Take to the Beach
- A Winemaker’s Secret Inexpensive Go-To Sparkler
- Pinot Noir’s Next Hot Region?
- Finally, A Good, Cheap Pinot Noir
- Greece's Answer to Pinot Noir
Here, wine experts reveal their favorite bottles costing less than $17. Many of the selections are lesser known but absolutely worth the search.
Who: Keith Goldston, Master Sommelier and Wine Director at RANGE in Washington, DC
Why: “I find almost every day is better with bubbles so finding a great bottle of bubbles that is delicious and affordable makes it easier to practice what I preach. This Cava from Peñalba López is from the limestone hillsides overlooking one of Spain’s top red wine regions (Ribera del Duero). They age it for 25 months on its lees [the dead yeast cells and other byproducts of fermentation] just like the best vintage Champagnes. The result: A Cava with great cherry and cranberry flavors that roll into a long dry finish with notes of chalk. A seriously geeky Cava that is extremely drinkable especially at this price!”