- 9 Cocktails to Make for Mother's Day
- The Ultimate Not-Taco Cinco de Mayo Menu
- How to Make Jody Adams' Zuchinni Fritters
- 3 Wines to Pair with Grilled Shrimp
- 7 Expert Taco Tips from Aarón Sánchez
- The Ultimate Make-Ahead Derby Party Menu
- 5 Recipes to Celebrate National Raisin Day
- Make Chef Kenny Gilbert’s Multipurpose Florida BBQ Sauce
- 3 Ways to Make Hot Wings Healthier
- What to Drink with Chicken Wings
Pie is an obvious—and delicious—use for apples, but there are so many other things to make with this versatile fruit. Here are tips for preparing apple dumplings, savory apple soup, apple chutney and more exceptional apple dishes.
1. Cranberry sauce. Apple's pectin helps molded cranberry sauce gel—just like the canned version.
2. Soup. Adding apples to soups gives them a sweet tanginess. They're delicious blended into pureed fall soups, such as this one made with sweet potatoes and chipotle chiles.
3. Savory tart. Layer thinly sliced apples with potatoes over crème fraîche spread on flaky, buttery pastry.
4. Condiments. Make sweet-and-savory chutney with bacon and fresh fennel to spread on sandwiches or serve with roast pork.
Or toss diced apple with cucumber, onion and red peppers and dress with white wine vinegar for a bright and crunchy topping for tacos.
5. Sangria. Add diced apple to your favorite sangria or try this boozy white wine one spiked with peach schnapps and pisco.
6. Juice. Apples are one of the most popular ingredients for adding sweetness to any juice, especially green ones. Try it with celery, ginger and parsley.
7. Muesli. Add grated apple to your favorite yogurt-soaked muesli and refrigerate it overnight for a delicious cold cereal.
8. Creative desserts. Toss apples with berries and sugar and bake in a cast-iron skillet between layers of sweet cake—a dessert that's way less labor-intensive than pie.
Make flaky apple dumplings, which are a delicious pie alternative.
Or bake apples in a puff pastry pocket to make a clever cross between a blintz and a hand pie.