- A Sparkling Wine You Can Drink Every Day
- In Defense of Cabernet Franc
- A Go-To Cocktail Party Red
- A Pinot Noir that Tastes Like Rocks (In a Good Way!)
- A Napa Valley Sommelier’s Go-To
- A Red You Can Take to the Beach
- A Winemaker’s Secret Inexpensive Go-To Sparkler
- Pinot Noir’s Next Hot Region?
- Finally, A Good, Cheap Pinot Noir
- Greece's Answer to Pinot Noir
Here, wine experts reveal their favorite bottles costing less than $17. Many of the selections are lesser known but absolutely worth the search.
Who: Anthony Giglio, wine writer and speaker extraordinaire
What: Hope Family Wines Troublemaker Blend 6
Why: “Austin Hope’s Troublemaker satisfies both sides of my wine-drinking brain,” says Giglio. On one side, he craves the spicy wines of France’s Rhône Valley; while the other side wants lots of fruit, which makes the wines easy to drink. Troublemaker delivers Rhône-inspired finesse and New World gulpability. To keep the price down and the wine consistent, it is made with a mix of vintages. “Drink it with food. Without food. It's delicious,” says Giglio. Note: This wine might seem like a bit of a cheat: The official suggested retail price of the bottle is $20. That said, it’s widely available around the country for less than $17.