- Early Look: Fatty Crab St. John
- The Italian Restaurant of Giada de Laurentiis's Dreams
- Ment'or BKB Foundation Announces 2016 Young Chef and Commis Finalists
- Caveman Bone Marrow at the Museum of Food and Drink Lunch
- Discovering Two Sides to San Juan
- Grant Achatz Starts His Day with Kale Juice, Ends It with Wolfgang Puck Canned Soup
- Why Grant Achatz Loves His Slow Cooker
- 5 Super-Stylish New Aprons
- Day 2: Pigs & Produce at Thackeray Farms
- Day 1: Dinner at McCrady's
Jamie Bissonnette is People's Choice Best New Chef!
This is also a good time to applaud regional winners like Midwest champion Lee Richardson, chef at Ashley’s at the Capital Hotel in Little Rock, Arkansas. Richardson created a dedicated website—voteforcheflee.com—and got American Idol winner Kris Allen to campaign for him. (Next time he's on Idol, I'm voting for him.) And then there’s Ricardo Zarate of L.A.’s Mo-Chica restaurant, who won the Pacific region thanks in part to a huge showing of national pride from the Peruvian community. And Tim Byres at Smoke in Dallas, who threw a big get-out-the-vote party that helped make him the Southwest champion.
Here’s a list of the regional winners (another round of applause). We salute you, and we also salute all 100 chefs in the People’s Best New Chef pool—you can find them here. We admire you all.
The Regional Champions
New England – Jamie Bissonnette, Coppa, Boston
Mid-Atlantic – Kyle Bailey, Birch & Barley, Washington DC
New York Area – David Felton, Ninety Acres, Peapack-Gladstone, NJ
Southeast – Bryan Emperor, Kalu Asian Kitchen, Charlotte, NC
Gulf Coast – James Lewis, Bettola, Birmingham, AL
Midwest – Lee Richardson, Ashley’s at the Capital Hotel, Little Rock, AR
Southwest – Tim Byres, Smoke, Dallas
Great Lakes – Jose Salazar, The Palace, Cincinnati
Pacific – Ricardo Zarate, Mo-Chica, Los Angeles
Northwest – Jason Franey, Canlis, Seattle