- How Chicago Restaurant Maple & Ash Made Up for Missing Out on Restaurant Week
- Kosher Recipes for After the Passover Seder
- A New Orleans Pastry Chef's Broadway-Inspired Dessert Menu
- The Story Behind Semilla's Outstanding Vegetable-Centric Tasting Menu
- Cooking with Native Edibles
- First Look: Niko
- Desperate Hearts
- Exciting New Seasonal Beers are Perfect for Pairing
- Berlin’s Secret Nightclub Restaurants
- Beer Trumps Wine
© Max's Wine Dive
Fried Chicken and Champagne at Max's Wine Dive.
It’s frigid here in New York City, and with the long holiday weekend ahead, I plan on holing up and cooking my favorite comfort foods, drinking some great wines and watching a lot of college football. I recently heard about a new wine bar in Texas that combines all three things. Max’s Wine Dive opened in May in downtown Austin with the philosophy of "Fried chicken and champagne? Why the hell not?!"
With its local team, the University of Texas Longhorns, playing for the national championship on January 7, the bar should be packed with fans eating not just fried chicken with Champagne but kobe burgers with Cabernet and oyster nachos with premier cru Burgundy.
Until I find my own NYC version of Max’s, I’ll be replicating their comfort-food-and-wine pairings with ideas from Food & Wine.