- 5 Chicken-and-Waffle Pairings
- 7 Fail-Proof Veggie Burgers
- 7 Best-Ever BLTs to Cure a Hangover
- 9 Soups to Make with Leftover Roast Chicken
- 7 Sauces to Upgrade Roast Chicken
- 9 Cocktails Every Host or Hostess Needs to Master
- The Secret to Soft-and-Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
- Introducing Chefs in Conversation: Kristen Kish and Michael Symon Banter About Roast Chicken
- 10 Best Sides for Roast Chicken
- 6 Chef Upgrades for Roast Chicken
Here are 13 recipes inspired by everyone’s favorite childhood foods.
Remember being a kid? All you needed to be happy was a gooey grilled cheese sandwich with the crusts cut off. Though life may be more complex now, thanks to things like jobs and taxes and car payments, a good grilled cheese (with the crusts on, since we’re all adults now) can still brighten up the day.
With that in mind, here are 13 recipes inspired by everyone’s favorite childhood foods. Try one tonight for a quick hit of happiness—and, for some bonus smiles, watch Jacques Pépin talk about the best ways to make people happy.
1. Milk-Chocolate-Chip Cookies
These crunchy, chewy cookies are loaded with milk-chocolate chips instead of the usual semisweet kind. For best nostalgic results, enjoy with a glass of milk.
2. Crunchy Fish Sticks with Tartar Sauce
A coating of flour and potato flakes makes for an extra-crunchy fried fish stick.
3. Blueberry-Banana Pancakes
These pancakes pack two breakfast favorites into one fluffy breakfast.
4. Barbecue Sloppy Joes
Quick and saucy, these Sloppy Joes live up to their name.
5. Vegetable Noodle Soup
Just because you’re a grown-up doesn’t mean alphabet pasta is off-limits.
6. Homemade Yodels
The filling in this whimsical dessert is a slightly tangy, sour cream–spiked caramel whipped cream. It’s way better than the original.
7. Almond-Butter-and-Jelly French Toast
This fluffy, nutty breakfast is a playful, delicious mash-up of French toast and PB&J.
8. Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Soup with Cheese Panini
It sounds fancy, but this is just a really, really good version of the classic combination of cream of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.
9. Panko–Crusted Chicken Tenders with Kohlrabi Slaw
Chicken fingers wish they were this crispy.
10. Banana Pudding with Vanilla Wafer Crumble
This spectacularly creamy banana pudding is topped with a crumble made from old-school vanilla wafer cookies.
11. Frosty Strawberry-and-Cream Milk Shakes
Pureed fresh strawberries make all the difference in these ultra-creamy shakes.
12. Chamomile Toast Crunch
Remember how good Cinnamon Toast Crunch was? This is better.
13. Summer Shack Corn Dogs
These DIY corn dogs have a delicious savory coating.