After you’re tired of making the always delicious (if slightly overdone) Caprese salad, here are 11 new ones to try while tomatoes are at their peak.
1. Panzanella. To make the other popular Italian summer salad, marinate tomatoes with red onion in a vinegary dressing, then toss with grilled or toasted cubes of stale bread.
2. BLT. Yep, turn the sandwich into a salad, tossing the tomatoes and bacon with a mayo-based dressing.
3. Bloody Mary. Not just for brunch anymore. Make a dressing using horseradish, lemon, Worcestershire and celery seeds. A drizzle of vodka is optional.
4. Turkish-Style. Take a cue from the Eastern Mediterranean, tossing the tomatoes with lots of herbs, chiles, cucumber and nuts. For the dressing? Whisk sweet-tart pomegranate molasses with olive oil.
5. With Pickled Nuts. Vinegar-soaked walnuts (really!) make an awesome topping for tomatoes.
6. With Buttermilk Dressing. Take an all-American approach and drizzle with a homemade ranch-like dressing.
7. Southeast Asian. Toss tomatoes with a hot-sour-salty-sweet dressing made with fish sauce, Thai chile, lime juice and sugar.
8. Grilled. To add depth to your tomato salad, grill the tomatoes for just a few minutes.
11. South American. Serve tomatoes with quick-pickled onions, jalapeños and cilantro.
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and author of the forthcoming The Modern Potluck (Clarkson Potter, 2016). She is also the cofounder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.