Winter salads can be drab. That’s where jewel-like pomegranate seeds come in. Brightly colored and bursting with tart, tannic flavor, the seeds are total saviors when it comes to dressing up dishes. (Plus they’re super-easy to extract using this brilliant Mad Genius Tip.) Here, 11 gorgeous winter salads made with pomegranate seeds.
1. Winter Lettuces with Pomegranate Seeds
Actress Ali Larter’s festive salad features a mix of greens like watercress, escarole and frisée in a shallot-mustard vinaigrette.
2. Spicy Greens and Pear Salad with Pomegranate Gremolata
Aida Mollenkamp packs tart (pomegranate), bitter (watercress, arugula) and sweet flavors (honey, pear) into this spicy salad.
3. Brussels Sprout Slaw with Hazelnuts and Pomegranate
This delectable slaw has tons of texture and flavor: crisp shredded brussels sprouts, crunchy hazelnuts, salty shaved cheese and bright, tangy pomegranate seeds.
4. Serrano Ham and Arugula Salad with Pomegranate Salsa
One of chef Suzanne Goin’s favorite ways to showcase seasonal ingredients, this composed salad is layered with arugula, ricotta salad and serrano ham.
5. Bulgur-Pomegranate Salad
This twist on tabbouleh includes juicy pomegranate seeds, pleasantly bitter endive and pistachios.
6. Quinoa and Pomegranate Salad
Juicy pomegranate seeds provide extra pops of flavor.
7. Winter Salad with Avocado, Pomegranate and Almonds
The preserved lemon in the dressing adds incredible brightness to this filling salad.
8. Chicory Salad with Pickled Quince and Pomegranate
Pickled quince’s strong sweet-tart flavors would overwhelm delicate lettuces, but the bold, bitter greens here are just right.
9. Pearled Barley Salad with Apples, Pomegranate Seeds and Pine Nuts
Quick, healthy and satisfying, this grain salad is perfect for weekday lunches.
10. Chopped Kale Tabbouleh with Quinoa, Pomegranate Seeds and Almonds
This amazing chopped salad combines powerhouse ingredients like kale, quinoa and pomegranate seeds for a great throw-together dish.
11. Pomegranate-Fennel Salad
Briny green olives, citrusy navel oranges, crunchy fennel and pomegranate seeds are an unexpectedly delicious combination.