- 3 Genius Ideas for Using Hot Sauce
- DIY Cured Salmon
- All You Need for a Boozy and Bacony DIY Brunch
- 7 Irresistible Rhubarb Desserts
- 7 Killer Spanish-Style Barbecue Dishes
- 7 Gorgeous Summer Salads
- 5 Fast Fruit Desserts You Should Definitely Grill Right Now
- 6 Foods for Dedicated Garlic Lovers
- 5 Best-Ever Summer Brunch Cocktails
- 9 Best-Ever Strawberry Dishes for Brunch
Between the costumes and the candy, there’s no denying that Halloween is a holiday for kids. But it’s also a great excuse to throw a subtly spooky, elegant cocktail party for adults.
Between the costumes and the candy, there’s no denying that Halloween is a holiday for kids. But it’s also a great excuse to throw a subtly spooky, elegant cocktail party for adults. Here, the best recipes for a ghostly grown-up get-together.
1. Scallop-and-Olive Eyeball Canapés (above)
A quick scallop mousse mixed in a processor in under a minute forms the base of these elegant canapés.
2. Kill Devil Punch
This punch is cooled with a block of raspberry ice, which releases berries into the bowl as it melts.
3. Fried Chicken Wings with Black Bean Sauce
While chicken wings aren’t inherently creepy, once fried and glazed with a Chinese black-bean sauce and arranged to appear in flight, they convincingly become “bat wings.”
4. Green Goddess Dip with Crudités
Loaded with parsley, tarragon and chives, this creamy dip has a texture and color perfect for all sorts of Halloween gags.
5. Pomegranate-and-Tequila Cocktail
This festive variation on a margarita is made with pomegranate syrup, silver tequila and fresh lime juice.
6. Sriracha-Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Perfectly crunchy and spicy, these sriracha-flavored pumpkin seeds are a great afternoon snack.
8. Spicy Cheddar Witch Fingers
For a creepy effect, shape these cheesy crackers into fingers, then press a sliced almond onto the end of each one to make a nail.
9. Black Widow Goat Cheese Log
Sautéed shallots and feta cheese flavor this simple spread, which is a delicious hors d'oeuvre at any time of year but here it's formed into a spooky spider.
10. Pork Dumplings with Chile-Sesame Sauce
These wrinkly dumplings are filled with pork, shiitake mushrooms, bok choy, scallions and ginger. For Halloween, soak the brain-like dumplings in the dipping sauce, then serve them in science-lab beakers.