Background Worked at China Moon Café, San Francisco; Granita, Malibu.
How he got into cooking "I got a job in a Chinese kitchen when I was 16 to learn about food and eat for free."
First memorable meal "I still remember the sashimi tuna pizza dinner I had at New York's Quilted Giraffe when I was 18."
Weirdest food he's ever eaten "English foodall those organ meats and savory pies."
Favorite equipment "I always keep a regular tablespoon in my pocket. I can spoon sauces and turn meat and fish with itit's my ace in the hole."
Favorite place to eat Il Mulino, New York City.
What he'd do if he weren't a chef "I would make jewelry."
Recipe tip When making stuffed pasta with a butter sauce, partially cook the pasta in boiling water, then finish it in the sauce for more flavor.
Won Best New Chef at: Spago Beverly Hills
- The Cheesiest Mashed Potatoes
- Pepino’s Revenge
- Pork Chops with Mustard Cream and Alsatian Cabbage
- Shepherd's Pie with Parsnip Puree Topping
- Tuna Tartare Crisps
- Alsatian Cabbage
- Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts and Bacon
- Celery Root and Green Apple Puree
- Cranberry, Quince and Pear Chutney
- Frisée and Endive Salad with Pears and Blue Cheese
- Hefter's Artichoke and Goat Cheese Agnolotti with Truffles
- Lemon Curd
- Grilled Rib Steak with Brandy-Peppercorn Sauce
- Mashed Yukon Golds with Chives
- Rich Turkey Stock
- Steak Tartare
- Winter Squash Soup with Pie Spices
- Buttermilk Ham and Cheese Biscuits
- Bread Stuffing with Apple, Raisins and Marmalade
- Creamed Cipollini Onions and Mushrooms
- Georgia Pecan Pie
- Herb-Roasted Turkey with Maple Gravy
- Lemon Curd Bread Pudding