Background Born in the Auvergne, France. Worked at Ledoyen, Paris; Potel & Chabot, Moscow; Troisgros, Roanne, France; C.T., New York City.
How he got into cooking "I was very bad at school; I had no choice."
First food memory "Grandmother's quail with raisins and foie gras, my favorite dish when I was eight."
Favorite equipment Peppermill.
Favorite cookbook The 1870 edition of Brillat-Savarin's Physiology of Taste.
Favorite place to eat Brasserie Lipp, Paris.
Favorite cocktail Caipirinhas, the potent Brazilian drink made with sugarcane liquor and lime juice.
Weirdest food he's ever eaten Snake, in Africa.
Food forecast "Russian food will get really popular one day."
Favorite 1 A.M. meal Country bread with melted mozzarella and tapenade.
Food vice Spicy chicken wings.
Recipe tip When you crush garlic, cover it in plastic wrap first to keep your cutting board from smelling.
Won Best New Chef at: Palace Court, Las Vegas (closed)
- Marinated Carrot Salad with Ginger and Sesame Oil
- Peach-Apricot Cobbler with Almond Ice Milk
- Spinach Caesar Salad
- Thai Crab-and-Green-Mango Salad
- Warm Leek, Asparagus and Potato Salad
- Asian-Style Spicy Coleslaw
- Caribbean Jerk Chicken
- Blueberry-Lemon Parfaits
- Cheddar BLT Burgers with Tarragon Russian Dressing
- Fried Green Tomatoes
- Fennel and Arugula Salad with Pecorino Toscano
- Grilled Vegetable Bruschetta
- Potato Salad with Bacon and Barbecue Sauce
- Smoky Strip Steaks with Chimichurri Sauce
- Tourondel's Semi-Smoked Salmon with Apple Broth
- Tangy Cabbage Slaw with Golden Raisins
- Bacon and Tomato Salad
- Almond Ice Milk
- Cajun-Spiced Shrimp and Corn Salad
- Blt Chili
- Cucumber-Basil Martini
- Four Cheese-Stuffed Portobellos
- Hot Cheddar-Garlic Rolls
- Green Tomato Salsa