Why he won Because he has brought incredible sophistication to some of the universe's simplest dishes.
Born Arlington, Virginia; 1977.
Experience Mercer Kitchen, Craft and Café Boulud, all in New York City; Fuyu-Rin and Park Hyatt hotel in Tokyo.
Boldest career move Working as a reservationist at Craft. "I wanted a job there so badly, I answered phones for over a month. After Craft got its third star, I went to work in their kitchen full-time. I felt like I'd hit the lottery."
Ingredient obsession Pork fat. "There's pork fat in just about everything at Momofuku."
What he loves most about his menu "I love that we use crazy small farmers. I'll do anything I can to promote pork guys in Kansas. We found Allan Benton, who does smoked country hams in Madisonville, Tennessee."
Favorite cheap eat "Any fast-food processed chicken—I'll order it in a heartbeat. But I'm very picky about my pork."
Won Best New Chef at: Momofuku Noodle Bar, New York City
- Tofu Salad with Chestnuts and Apple Dashi
- Maple Root-Vegetable Stir-Fry with Sesame
- Quick Kimchi Cucumbers
- Sweet-and-Sour Pickles
- Sugar Snaps and Snow Peas with Grated Fresh Horseradish
- Sparkling White Kimchi
- Soothing Tofu-and-Zucchini Soup with Bean Sprouts
- Turkey Breast with Ginger-Scallion Sauce
- Cabbage, Watercress and Pine Nut Dumplings
- David Chang's Freeze-Dried Chicken Stock
- Korean Sushi Rolls with Walnut-Edamame Crumble
- Mashed-Potato Spring Rolls
- Pine Nut Chicken Salad
- Shiitake-and-Swiss-Chard Soup with Hand-Cut Noodles
- Superfast Salt-and-Sugar Pickles
- Spicy Brussels Sprouts with Mint
- Soy-Braised Turkey with Turkey Rice
- Turkey Cracklings
- BBQ Pulled-Pork Sandwiches
- Chawan Mushi
- Honey-Soy-Glazed Vegetables with Crispy Mushrooms