This first-ever organic American vodka may be the bridge between Birkenstock wearers and martini makers. Packaged entirely in recycled materials, Rain is made in Kentucky of organically grown grain and pure limestone water ($18; available nationwide).
Australian wines have become so popular in America that two of the largest Aussie companies have set up shop in California. Southcorp was the first, with the Central Coast winery Seven Peaks, followed by Mildara Blass, which moved its master winemaker, David O'Leary, to Bayliss and Fortune, its new Monterey outpost.
Top 10 List
To help ring in the New Year, some sparkling wine alternatives to Champagne, in ascending order of price:
1. 1997 Seaview Brut, Australia ($8)
2. Nonvintage Gratien & Meyer Brut, France ($9)
3. Nonvintage Zardetto Prosecco, Italy ($10)
4. Nonvintage Joan Esteve Nadal Cava Avinyó, Spain ($13)
5. Nonvintage Domaine Chandon Blanc de Noirs, California ($14)
6. Nonvintage Mumm Napa Brut Prestige, California ($14)
7. Nonvintage Roederer Estate Brut, California ($16)
8. 1992 Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs, California ($22)
9. 1993 Jordan J Brut, California ($25)
10. Nonvintage Ca' del Bosco Franciacorta Brut, Italy ($30)