A Wine a Day
This Page-A-Day calendar won't teach you a new word every day, but it will give you a good tip on what bottle to bring home each night ($10; Workman).
The Ice Wine Cometh
When most grapes are long gone from the vine, it's time to make ice wine. Inniskillin, the esteemed Ontario winery, plans to harvest its frozen grapes this month.
Six references to give or to get:
1. Bordeaux, revised edition, by Robert M. Parker, Jr. ($50; Simon & Schuster)
2. The Bordeaux Atlas and Encyclopedia of Châteaux by Hubrecht Duijker and Michael Broadbent ($50; St. Martin's Press)
3. A Companion to California Wine by Charles L. Sullivan and Hugh Johnson ($40; California Academy of Sciences)
4. Connoisseurs' Handbook of the Wines of California and the Pacific Northwest by Norman S. Roby and Charles E. Olken ($20; Knopf)
5. Hugh Johnson's Modern Encyclopedia of Wine, 4th edition ($40; Simon & Schuster)
6. Wines and Vineyards of Character and Charm in France ($27.50; Fodor's)