When people think of wine shops, they don't usually think of a 142,000-square-foot Costco. But the big-box king is probably the country's top wine merchant (it sold more than a billion dollars worth of wine globally in 2010). So I hunted for great Thanksgiving wine picks from Costco, Trader Joe's and three other major chain stores, then asked Associate Editor Daniel Gritzer and Style Editor Jessica Romm to weigh in on food and design choices for one-stop shopping. Here, our favorites, plus wines to go with America's favorite night-before-Thanksgiving meal: pizza.
Trader Joe's Wine: Best Sparkling Wines
NV Albero Organic Cava Brut ($9) Cava is made in the same manner as its more expensive French cousin, Champagne, but it uses the indigenous Spanish grapes Macabeo, Xarel-lo and Parellada. This appley bottling is crisp and lightly earthy.
- Pinch's Ingenious Cocktail Party Food Ideas
- Cocktail Party Tips from Mixologist Jim Meehan
- How to Throw a Great Wine & Cheese Party
- Wine-Giving Strategies: 5 Ways to Make Party Hosts Happy
- Superfast Side Dishes for Entertaining
- Cooking with Convenience Foods
- Best Online Wine Shops
- America's Best and Most Accessible Value Wines
- The Box-Wine Bonus
NV Piper Heidsieck Champagne Brut Cuvée ($30) A majority of Pinot Noir in a Champagne blend usually makes the wine powerful and rich, but despite that, Piper's Pinot-driven basic cuvée leans toward a more delicate, fresh sensibility.