You famously used to have a milk shake at Bob’s Big Boy almost every day for lunch—what do you eat for lunch now?
I have something called Dr. Bieler’s broth. It is parsley, zucchini, green beans and celery, and you cook it and then blend it into a thick, green soup. Dr. Bieler invented it as a kind of purifier, I think, in the 1960s. Then I have seven almonds with that.
Well, I like the number seven, and so, you know, it just seems like the right amount.
- The Hungry Crowd: Drew Barrymore
- The Hungry Crowd: Adrian Grenier and Peter Glatzer
- The Hungry Crowd: Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson
- The Hungry Crowd: Anna Kendrick
- The Hungry Crowd: Superfly
- The Hungry Crowd: Peter Som
There are so many diners in your work. What draws you back to that setting?
A poet could write volumes about diners, because they’re so beautiful. They’re brightly lit, with chrome and booths and Naugahyde and great waitresses. Now, it might not be so great in the health department, but I think diner food is really worth experiencing periodically. I love supercrispy, almost burned, snapping-crispy bacon.