New York City: It isn't always easy to find good Italian food in Little Italy. Rubirosa is a great new exception. Angelo Pappalardo learned to make pizza at Joe & Pat's, his family's Staten Island place; here, he serves pies as well as dishes like gnocchi with mini meatballs and crispy brick chicken stuffed with ham and cheese.
Nashville: In East Nashville, it's hard to say what's better at Holland House: the cocktails from Jeremiah Blake or the New Southern dishes. I missed Monday's bourbon-and-burger night (each one is half price). Still, I was perfectly happy with a Kelso Cola #2 (apricot bourbon and cola with coffee-Guinness foam) and Kentucky fried catfish with a side of field pea hoppin' john.
- Mario Batali's Favorite Italian Restaurants in the U.S.
- Where to Go Next: Best U.S. Coffee Bars
- The Best Pizza Spots in the U.S.
- Best Burgers in the U.S.
- Best New Barbecue Restaurants
- Scott Conant's 10 Favorite Italian Restaurants
- Food Philanthropy: Feel-Good Restaurants
- New Miami Restaurants
- Best Wines at Chain Restaurants
- 10 Best Restaurant Dishes of 2010
- New Restaurants in New York City
- The World's Most Beautiful Restaurant Dishes
Pizza Before Noon
Birmingham, AL: Friends told me the pepperoni and Three Cheeser pizzas were dynamite at chef-owners Geoff Lockert and Brian Somershield's new Trattoria Centrale. Still, I had doubts about the breakfast pizza (so gimmicky, I thought). I was wrongtopped with potatoes, bacon, sausage and a fried-to-order egg, it's excellent.