Restaurant Empire Builders: Chefs Reinvent Themselves
Three past Best New Chefs are moving away from the food that made them famous and reimagining their professional directions.
James Syhabout, Oakland, CA
- Dinner Party for a New Decade
- Bordeaux's Empire Builders
- Best New Chefs 2009: Vinny Dotolo and Jon Shook
- 50 Hall of Fame Best New Chefs: Entrepreneurs
- 50 Hall of Fame Best New Chefs: Visionaries
- Interview with Best New Chef Cathal Armstrong
- Best New Chefs 2009: Linton Hopkins
New Direction At Hawker Fare, Syhabout puts down his tweezers and picks up his wok, serving street food-inspired dishes from Laos, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. Every dish on the menu, like poached chicken over rice cooked in chicken fat with fermented mung beans and ginger, costs less than $10.