A pungent seasoning made by grinding small shrimp into a paste that is fermented, dried and pressed into cakes. Belacan is often toasted before being used.
A dark, complex, aged Chinese vinegar made from a variety of grains. Its closest Western cousin would be balsamic vinegar.
- Pork Dumplings with Aged Black Vinegar
- Ginger Duck Salad with Green Tea Dressing
- Oven-Steamed Fish with Ginger and Olive Oil
A palm sugar that’s made from the sap of various palm trees. Dark-brown sugar or muscovado sugar can be used in its place.
A thick, slightly sweet Indonesian seasoning, sometimes called sweet soy sauce, that’s flavored with garlic and/or star anise.
An aged Chinese rice wine often used in cooking. Dry sherry can be substituted.
- Mushroom Spring Rolls with Creamy Ginger Sauce
- Hoisin Ginger Sauce
- Smoky-Hot Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry
Belacan, gula Jawa and kecap manis can be ordered from indomart.us.