Favorite Foods and Spices
Question: Hi Marcus! What common flavor thread have you found between your two homelands? Have you been able to use them together?
Marcus Samuelsson: Cardamom is used a lot in both Ethiopian and Swedish cuisine, and I use it a lot in all of my cooking.
Question: Greetings Chef! What is your favorite comfort food to prepare?
Marcus Samuelsson: I love to prepare and eat doro wat at home with my wife. Everything about it is comforting: the process of preparing it, the smells and, of course, eating it with our hands.
- The New Harlem Renaissance
- Interview with Marcus Samuelsson
- Kitchen Insider Facebook Chat: Mario Batali on Pasta and His Favorite Things
- Kitchen Insider: Facebook Chat with Chef Scott Conant
- Kitchen Insider: Facebook Chat with Chef Richard Blais
Question: Chef, other than salt, pepper, olive oil and butter, what are your three must-have ingredients in the kitchen?
Marcus Samuelsson: You'll always find berbere in my kitchen. It's an Ethiopian spice mix that my wife and I bring back from Ethiopia all the time. [New York spice shop Kalustyan's also stocks Berbere.]