2007 Calera Central Coast Chardonnay ($16)
This rich, round, judiciously oaked white comes from one of California’s most respected winemakers, Josh Jensen, who creates it with grapes from throughout the Central Coast.
More Great Wine Values
2007 Peñalolén Sauvignon Blanc ($12)
The Limarí Valley, which receives cooling breezes right off the Pacific Ocean, has become one of Chile’s top sources for Sauvignon Blanc. This zippy, orange- and grapefruit-inflected white is from a terrific vintage in Chile’s coastal regions.
- 5 Smart Tips for Holiday Wine Buying
- Holiday Wines | Tip 2: Look for Wine Screw Caps
- Holiday Wines | Tip 3: Select Food-Friendly Wines
- Holiday Wines | Tip 4: Pick Affordable Sparkling Wines
- Holiday Wines | Tip 5: Use Terrific $12-and-Under Wines for Punch
2006 Casa Silva Reserva Carmenère ($15)
Many of Casa Silva’s vines are 90 years old or more, carried from Bordeaux to Chile by the winery’s French founding family. Among them would have been some Carmenère vines, a native Bordeaux variety that makes spicy, dark- fruited, juicy reds like this one.