Chef John Besh on New Orleans
Chefs Donald Link and Stephen Stryjewski opened Cochon in 2006 in a converted warehouse, creating the first great Cajun restaurant New Orleans has seen in years. The food, like an oyster-and-bacon sandwich, isn't fancy, just intelligently conceived and well prepared.
We loved: Okra-cornbread fritters; rabbit and dumplings.
- Go List 2009: World’s Best Food Cities
- Go List 2009: Twenty Rising Stars
- Go List 2009: Best Hotel Restaurants
- Go List 2009: Best Bites Near Sites
- Go List 2009: 7 Best Bars
Not much has changed at this Bourbon Street institution since Frenchman Jean Galatoire opened it over a century ago. The tile-lined downstairs dining room is filled with New Orleanians in their Sunday best, while the kitchen still turns out well made French-Creole dishes.
We loved: Oysters Rockefeller; trout amandine; lamb chops béarnaise.