Family Dinner Recipes
I am not one to indulge picky eaters. It’s probably a holdover from my childhood—the resounding “I’m not a short-order cook!” from my mother, nightly. We ate one dinner. I picked the peppers out of my frittata, stashed the tomatoes from my caprese in my napkin and snuck whatever I could to the dog. Now that I’m the family cook, my strategy is to prepare dishes everyone will be happy to eat. Sure, we have a lot of broccoli and green beans—since my kids happen to like them—and because one of my children can’t bear spicy foods, the rest of us make do with hot sauce on the side. But as my kids have grown up, so have their taste buds, which is a relief beyond words. The recipes here should satisfy everyone at your table. If they don’t, remember: Most kids know how to make PB&Js.
Drinks for Everyone
Sipp organic sodas are fruity but not too sweet. haveasipp.com.
Made with wine grapes, Navarro Vineyards Pinot Noir Grape Juice ($11) pairs almost as well with food as wine does. navarrowine.com.
Berry-rich Barbera, like the 2009 Michele Chiarlo Le Orme ($15), is terrific with dishes that feature tomatoes.
Video: Comfort Food Recipes
More Family Dinner Recipes
- Best Weeknight Recipes from a Star Vintner-Cook
- Cookbook: Healthy Eating Is All In The Famiglia
- Cooking at Home: Weeknight Dinner Deluxe
- Cooking at Six | Cooking with Children
- Family-Style Cooking
- How to Kick Healthy Cooking Up a Notch
- Melissa Clark's Weeknight Stew Recipes
- What's Your Food Personality: Picky or Adventurous?