Eco Checklist: Take a Green Vacation
Aventouras’ intimate trips in seven countries include stays at a guesthouse in the Andes and dinner with a Costa Rican family (800-930-2846 or aventouras.com).
Inkaterra protects the pristine land surrounding its luxe Peruvian retreats with programs that preserve 30,000 acres of Amazon forest. Its newest property, the 18-suite Titilaka, is set on a private peninsula on Lake Titicaca (doubles from $960; 800-442-5042 or inkaterra.com).
Lindblad Expeditions develops conservation projects in the Galápagos and the other destinations its 12 ships sail to. Starting in September, chefs concerned with sustainability, such as Michel Nischan of Westport, Connecticut’s Dressing Room, will lead cooking demos onboard (800-EXPEDITION or expeditions.com).
15 Easy Ways to Live Better
- 1: Opt for Compostable Plates
- 2: Clean Up with Green Products
- 3: Upcycle Your Stained Clothes
- 4: Drink Water from a Reusable Bottle
- 5: Bring Your Own Grocery Bags
- 6: Set a Stylish Green Table
- 7: Buy the Purest Spirits
- 8: Fill Up Your Freezer
- 9: Stock a Green Fridge
- 10: Use Less Energy for Cooking
- 11: Buy a Smart Power Strip
- 12: Trust Your Dishwasher
- 13: Make Eco-Conscious Kitchen-Design Choices
- 14: Take a Green Vacation
- 15: Wash Clothes in Warm Water