Coastal Chile Bottles:
2007 Leyda Classic Sauvignon Blanc ($11)
The Leyda Valley, about five miles from the Pacific Ocean, has recently become known as a source for good cool-climate whites, such as this grassy, lemony Sauvignon.
2007 Terra Andina Reserva Chardonnay ($13)
The northernmost wine region in Chile—the Limarí Valley, which lies about 25 miles off the Pacific Coast—produces the grapes for this spicy, balanced white.
- Coastal Chile’s Wine Country Recipes & Value Wines
- Northern California’s Best Wine Values
- Southern France’s Best Wine Values
- South Australia’s Best Wine Values
- Mediterranean Spain’s Best Wine Values
2008 Root: 1 Casablanca Valley Sauvignon Blanc ($13)
Tangy gooseberry notes and a hint of the green pepper that often appears in Sauvignon Blanc define this wine by Casablanca Valley–based Viña Ventisquero.