"My dad grew up on corned beef hash," says Colby Garrelts, an F&W Best New Chef 2005. Chances are, that hash wasn't made from prized Japanese wagyu beef. But at Bluestem—the Kansas City, Missouri, restaurant Garrelts owns with his pastry-chef wife, Megan—the hash is haute, and so are the other brunch dishes. As Megan says, "Breakfast is huge in the Midwest, but we use better ingredients, better technique—and bigger biscuits." The two share their best dishes in the just-released Bluestem cookbook, and F&W streamlines the most delightful brunch recipes here, skipping laborious methods but keeping the honest flavors intact.
- The Always-Hungry Guide to Around-the-Clock Eating
- Breakfast: A Wake-Up Call
- Bed, Breakfast and Beyond
- The Breakfast Rush | Sundance, Utah
- A Chef’s Irresistible Breakfast Eggs
- Supercharged Breakfast Recipes
- Top Weekend Breakfasts