Interview with Allen Susser (Chef Allen’s, Miami)
With so much great food, art and culture, it’s a great time to be in Miami. The vibe right now calls for a more casual take on food, so I’m relaunching Chef Allen’s this summer to make it more approachable, with lots of fresh, local and sustainable fish (19088 NE 29th Ave., Aventura; 305-935-2900 or chefallens.com).
Favorite Cultural Activity
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden in Coral Gables has various outdoor art installations throughout the year, like a recent one with sculptures from Fernando Botero, Dale Chihuly and Roy Lichtenstein (10901 Old Cutler Rd., Coral Gables; 305-667-1651 or fairchildgarden.org).
Favorite Brunch Spot
I take my two girls to 1 Bleu at the Regent Bal Harbour for the beachfront view and the raw seafood platter, which is always outstanding (10295 Collins Ave., Bal Harbour; 305-455-5400).
Favorite Nightlife Spot
Yakko-San for late-night eating since it’s open until 3AM. I get the crab hot pot, which is a savory dish, but the crab’s sweetness really comes through (17040-46 West Dixie Hwy.; 305-947-0064 or yakko-san.com).
Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink in the design district has the best heirloom tomato salad and crispy, sweet and spicy pork belly (130 NE 40th St.; 305-573-5550 or michaelsgenuine.com).
Michy’s on the Upper East Side has a great selection of pristine ceviches (6927 Biscayne Blvd.; 305-759-2001).
North One 10. Chef Dewey LoSasso’s roasted duck is always crisp (11052 Biscayne Blvd.; 305-893-4211 or northone10.com).
Ortanique on the Mile in Coral Gables does West Indian-style bouillabaisse and spicy jerk pork chops (278 Miracle Mile; 305-446-7710 or cindyhutsoncuisine.com).
Pacific Time, for the sautéed grouper in red curry. Chef Jonathan Eismann handles his fish with respect (35 NE 40th St.; 305-722-7369 or pacifictime.biz).
- Chefs’ City Guides
- Interview with Alessandro Stratta (Alex, Las Vegas)
- Interview with Daniel Boulud (Daniel, New York)
- Interview with John Besh (Restaurant August, New Orleans)
- Interview with Laurent Tourondel (BLT Steak, Washington, D.C.)
- Interview with Marc Vetri (Vetri, Philadelphia)
- Interview with Michael Schlow (Radius, Boston)
- Interview with Nancy Silverton (Osteria Mozza and Pizzeria Mozza, Los Angeles)
- Interview with Rick Bayless (Frontera Grill and Topolobampo, Chicago)
- Interview with Traci Des Jardins (Jardinière, San Francisco)