Burgundy's reputation for producing ethereal, mineral-laden, slightly smoky Pinot Noir far exceeds the region's tiny size. Acheson loves the cherry-rich 2007 Joseph Roty Bourgogne Rouge. Or try the 2006 Bouchard Bourgogne Rouge.
The Loire valley's subregion of Sancerre produces a wine of the same name made from Sauvignon Blanc; its flavors evoke grapefruit, gooseberry and grass. Acheson favors the citrusy 2008 Vacheron. Another option: the 2009 Michel Girard et Fils.
- Best New Global Wine Pairings
- Best Pairings for Italian Wines
- Best Pairings for Spanish Wines
- Best Pairings for Austrian Wines
- Best Pairings for California Wines
Q&A with Hugh Acheson
How did you learn about wine?