The money raised through the Grow for Good campaign will enable Farm to Table to:
- Expand its programs and services into 25 cities across the U.S.
- Open a West Coast office serving California and other western states' farmland
- Provide education, tools and technology to help small farmers implement more sustainable practices.
- Create a national network for local ingredients: farm-to-farm, farm-to-consumer, farm-to-institutional buyer
- Launch a national public education campaign
- Partner with Share Our Strength (SOS) to increase community access to locally grown foods as part of SOS's efforts to eliminate childhood hunger
Why Focus on Farming & Agriculture?
- A robust food & wine industry begins at the farm.
- The United States is losing close to 2 acres of farmland per minute to urban sprawl and development. America's food is traveling on average 2,000 miles from the farm to our tables, which increases gas consumption and food costs. Additionally, conventional agriculture's heavy reliance on chemical pesticides, fertilizers and fungicides has led to groundwater contamination and illnesses.
- FOOD & WINE is concerned by these trends and wants to increase our country's access to healthy, fresh, locally grown ingredients. Grow for Good will support the American farmer and invest in sustainable agriculture.
Why Farm to Table?
Farm to Table is an initiative of the Earth Pledge, a nonprofit organization dedicated to developing sustainable solutions to environmental challenges. Farm to Table was created by Earth Pledge to address the growing challenges facing American farms by:
- Creating demand for sustainable and local products
- Educating local farmers about innovative agriculture techniques and providing them with technologies to help their farming operations become more sustainable and profitable
- Raising awareness of the environmental, social and health benefits of sustainable agriculture and locally grown ingredients among food professionals, policy makers and the general public
FOOD & WINE will raise $1 million by:
- Investing 4% of every FOOD & WINE Classic ticket sold
- Hosting special events at the 2007 Classic in Aspen and in some of the 25 Farm to Table expansion cities
- Conducting a national online auction
- Soliciting donations / sponsorships from FOOD & WINE Classic attendees, talent, sponsors and exhibitors
- Engaging the Aspen community in fundraising activities
- Soliciting FOOD & WINE subscribers and online users
- Working with Farm to Table to solicit corporate and private donations