2005 Ramey Ritchie Vineyard ($65)
For his winery, David Ramey sources grapes from Kent Ritchie’s 33-year-old vines in Sonoma’s Russian River Valley. The result is a complex, classic California Chardonnay, with tropical fruit and peach flavors.
2007 Cliff Lede Napa Valley ($22) (pictured, above)
In 2005, Cliff Lede’s winery in Napa Valley’s Stags Leap District added unique fermenters that resemble concrete eggs. Apparently they work beautifully, turning out this luscious wine with notes of grapefruit and melon.
- American Wine Awards 2008
- American Wine Awards 2008: Importer of the Year
- American Wine Awards 2008: Outstanding Sparkling Wine
- American Wine Awards 2008: Best Wines for Under $20
- American Wine Awards 2008: Winemaker of the Year
- American Wine Awards 2008: Best New Winery
2005 Talley Vineyards Rosemary’s Vineyard ($70)
Winemaker Leslie Mead created this dense, deeply flavored Pinot from grapes planted around family matriarch Rosemary Talley’s house in the Arroyo Grande area of California’s southern Central Coast.