1. 2009 Bodegas Colome Torrontes ($15)
A wonderful buy from Argentina. The nose is exotic, almost Muscat-like, while the texture is bone-dry. A great aperitif.
2. 2008 Weingut Prager Smaragd Trocken Liebenberg Grüner Veltliner ($60)
A minerally Austrian white with potent aromas of tropical fruits and white pepper, Grüner Veltliner's signature note.
- The Sniff Test
- Is Greatness Overrated?
- The Perplexing Protocol of Party Wine
- Is Grüner a Great Wine or a Groaner?
3. 2008 Dr. Loosen Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese ($30)
Lush but racy, with notes of orange zest and spice; from German star Ernst Loosen.